Friday, October 5, 2007

Growing Impatient (September 5, 2007)




I'm still waiting for the DNA results. It's difficult to wait because the patience I need is the patience I lack. Someone once said you practice patience. Well, I'm still getting to that.


I called the company yesterday about the DNA results and they said the test had to be done again because they were not able to get the results the first time. The lady on the telephone said the second time was a success and I should have my results in the next couple of weeks.


I'm ready to know and I'm scared to know. I write this because I found out yesterday that my grandfather, at age 24 (if I found the correct record) was someone's boarder. Why?


Why wasn't he at home with his mother and father?


And I also found out that at one point, he was listed as Black in the records. At another point, he was listed as Mulatto. He was neither. He was a Native America. Or at least that's what I've been told all my life.


What if he wasn't? I often wonder how he ended up with the last name Smith...

No comments: