Friday, October 5, 2007

DNA Test Results (September 21, 2007)


I finally received my DNA test results. But on July 20, 2007, I wrote when trying to guess my family's (maternal line) orgin:


Well, I guess West and I will guess a country right now.... I think, Liberia. But I fear it might be Nigeria. Then my second (or third, however you wish to count it) guess is Ghana.

But, I fear it might be Nigeria. That is so funny, because it is Nigeria. I feel so ashamed that I wrote that now and I know it was because of a negative feeling I was having about a Nigerian. But how ironic that I was so detached from this and this is actually where I"m (removed) from.

Life has thrown me some curve balls, but this one came out of nowhere. It's funny that knowing this makes me feel a certain kinship with the person I was having the negative feelings for. Who knows, we might have grown up nextdoor neighbors were it not for the diaspora. I don't want to use the s word anymore, even though I acknowledge it for what it was and what it has spawned.

My plan now, is to continue my family history search and visit Nigeria next year. I think I might have found my great-great-great (maternal) grandparents. And I just found out that a cousin is also researching the family history. Maybe I can get her to go to Africa with me...

No comments: