Monday, June 23, 2008

Family history still a mystery

It's June, 2008; summer already. I feel as if I am not accomplishing very much as far as my family history is concerned. After a recent trip (earlier this month) to North Carolina and pleading with the clerk at the register of deeds to allow me to copy the D Index for death records, I am still no closer to solving one of the many mysteries of my family.

My maternal grandfather's mother died (I assume) sometime between 1920 and 1930. She is listed on the 1920 census with her children, but in 1930, the children are listed with their sister and brother-in-law. I have scoured the D Index for her name, but it's not there. There are many Dardens listed (her name is Annie M. Darden, possibly listed as Anna, Dorden, Doeden, Derden).

Then I had a thought. What if she died in Duplin County and not Sampson County and her name is misspelled??? I plan to call the Duplin County Register of Deeds and beg them to copy and send me their D Index.

Fingers crossed.

No comments: