Monday, November 12, 2007

Slave Schedules (1850 US Federal Census)

As I work on my family history, I have spoken to a few people. One of my cousins in particular says she would not do a family history because she did not know what she would find. Well, most of the worst of what we know has already been revealed. We know that our ancestors were slaves. We know that they were sold into slavery by people who looked like them. These are just facts of my and millions of people's past. I am still coming to terms with it. It has been difficult.

I am at a point in my research where the paper trails are beginning to thin out. My great-great grandparents were born slaves and then freed after the Emancipation Proclamation. My great-great-great grandparents were slaves. I have not determined yet whether they were born slaves of if they were sold into slavery. I think I might have found my great-great-great grandfather on the 1850 US Federal Census Save Schedules (from ancestrylibrary.com).

The (excerpted) record reads:

1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules
NATIONAL ARCHIVES AND RECORDS ADMINISTRATION

Because your ranked search did not include a name, we are showing you exact
match results instead. Exact match searching generally returns more relevant
results than a ranked search when a name isn't included.

Slave Owners

Nam/Home in 1850/(City,County,State)
Saml R Ireland/Northern Division, Sampson, North Carolina

Slave Information

Age/Gender/Race
47/Male/Black
43/Female/Black
40/Male/Black
39/Female/Black
30/Male/Black
25/Male/Black
23/Male/Black
18/Male/Black
15/Female/Black
12/Male/Black
8/Female/Black
5/Male/Black

The 30-year-old black male might have been my great-great-great grandfather. On the 1870 census, my great-great-great grandfather was listed as 50-years-old. This makes him 30 in 1850.

In order to prove this, I have to do a "process of elimination" by viewing all of the slave owners with this last name (Ireland) in Sampson County in this year. If I find more than one 30-year-old black male, I have to elimate by city (if possible).

No comments: